A brief look at Temple Bar's credentials

Investment objective

Temple Bar’s investment objective is to provide investors with a growing income combined with growth in capital. It aims to meet this objective by investing primarily in UK equities, across different sectors, maintaining a balance of larger and smaller/medium-sized companies. The trust has a bias towards FTSE 350 companies.

The Trust is managed by Nick Purves and Ian lance of RWC Partners who have over fifty years of investment experience between them and have been working as a partnership for over thirteen years.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The strategy employed by Temple Bar is known as value investing; that is the process of buying a company’s stock for less than its true worth (sometimes known as its intrinsic value).

By buying at a discount, this strategy builds in a ‘margin of safety’ and whilst in the short term an undervalued company’s share price might fall further, in the long run the built-in value tends to get recognised by other investors and the share price rises to represent the stock’s intrinsic value. There is much empirical evidence to show that value strategies have delivered excess returns over the longer term.

Of course, some companies are cheap for a good reason, but we believe investments in good quality yet undervalued companies with strong cash flows and robust balance sheets offer the best potential for attractive long-term investment returns.

It’s important to remember that there is no guarantee that a company’s valuation will recover. In addition, future and dividend growth is not guaranteed. As a result, the value of your shares in Temple Bar and the income from them can fall as well as rise and you may lose money. Further key risks we believe are faced by Temple Bar investors can be read here.

Find out more about our investment approach.

Key facts

  • The investment trust launched in 1926
  • Temple Bar is an independent company with a board of directors whose responsibility is to seek the best investment return for its shareholders
  • As at 1 January 2018 there are over 30,000 current investors
  • The trust has been recognised by the AIC as a Dividend Hero, having been one of a small number of investment trusts that have increased their dividend for over 20 consecutive years
  • Temple Bar Investment Trust currently holds a ‘RATED’ status from independent fund rating and research agency, RSMR. It has held this rating since December 2015.*

 

 

 

 

 

*Fund ratings may be provided by independent rating agencies based on a range of investment criteria, and do not constitute investment advice by Temple Bar Investment Trust or Ninety One. For a full description of the ratings please see https://group.rsmr.co.uk/investors/fund-rating/

 

Our history

Whilst not likely to influence your investment decision, you may be interested to know about the background to the Temple Bar name.

Incorporated in 1926, its original name was Cable, Telephone and General Trust Company Ltd., before being shortened to Telephone and General Trust Ltd in 1930.

Since then its investment remit has become more generalised and it has confronted the challenges of the Great Crash of the 1930s, the inflationary 1970s and subsequent periods of equity market strength and weakness. While short term losses could not be avoided on these occasions, the investment trust has recovered strongly to post solid gains for long term investors. Please remember however that past performance should not be taken as a guide to the future, the value of investments can fall as well as rise and losses may be made. Its current name was adopted in 1977 following a reverse takeover.

  • Temple Bar was once one of the long line of structures marking the boundary between Westminster and the City of London
  • It originally stood at the junction of Fleet Street and The Strand
  • Temple Bar was associated with a celebration of the Spanish Armada in 1588 and the funeral of Lord Nelson in 1806
  • The heads of executed traitors used to displayed above the central arch
  • Temple Bar was moved to Theobald’s Park near Waltham Cross in 1878, but returned in 2004 to London’s Paternoster Square.